What is a Labor Doula?
- A Doula is a trained and experienced person that accompanies women in labor and throughout childbirth.
- Doulas are proven to reduce the risk of unnecessary interventions, use of pain medications, and cesarean sections by nearly 50%.
- She is invested in the pregnant woman throughout her pregnancy and committed to supporting her during her entire birth experience.
- She provides non-judgmental, continuous care and emotional support, calm reassurance, encouragement, hands-on comfort measures and guidance.
- She is helpful in assisting the laboring woman and partner as they seek to understand the process of childbirth. She can answer questions about what's happening and provide information as it is needed and wanted.
- She is a valuable member of the birthing woman's team.
- She works hard to build relationships with the laboring woman's providers and caregivers.
- Her presence at the mother's side during the birth of her child greatly increases the likelihood of her being satisfied with her overall birth experience.